I upgraded to OS X Mavericks last night. It’s great, my Mac is faster, and I’ve not touched a single byte of swap yet, even with a ton of stuff open. But like any OS upgrade, there are some things that are causing my dev environment to work strangely. Here’s how I’m fixing them.
Apache just shows 403 Forbidden for all my sites in ~/Sites
This one’s an easy fix. Open
/etc/apache/httpd.conf in your favourite editor. Find
<Directory "/Library/WebServer/Documents/"> on line 197 and replace it with
Alternative solution: If you have multiple users on the same Mac all needing
~/Sites to work, you may need to replace the Directory directive entirely with a
<DirectoryMatch "/Users/*/Sites/">, but don’t forget to change out the closing
</Directory> for a
Once you’ve made your edits, save the file, and run
sudo apachectl restart to make apache pick up the config change.
Git shell integration stopped working
I added these lines to my .bash_profile to get RVM info and Git info in my shell prompt:
# Show RVM gemset and Git branch in Bash prompt source /usr/share/git-core/git-prompt.sh export PS1="\h:\W \u\[\033[01;34m\]\$(~/.rvm/bin/rvm-prompt g)\[\033[00;33m\]\$(__git_ps1 \"(%s)\")\[\033[00m\]\$ "
Now, however, my shell prompt is a bit broken and has an error above each prompt, like this:
-bash: __git_ps1: command not found piro:~ my-unix-username$
Turns out I don’t have a
file anymore, which is causing the
__git_ps1 environment variable to not get set.
But, there does appear to be a copy at
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/share/git-core/git-prompt.sh so I edited my .bash_profile to and updated the
source line with the new path. Not sure it’s such a great idea running it from the
/Applications/Xcode.app path but it’s probably better than copying/symlinking it to /usr/share until I get familiar with The New Way Of Doing Things™.
X11 was no longer installed
Easily fixed, just need to download a fresh copy from http://xquartz.macosforge.org.
More issues will be posted here as I find/solve them.
1 thought on “OS X Mavericks: restoring my development enviromment”
Thanks for sharing! The fix for the Git shell integration was exactly what I needed!